Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/content/25/7393925/html/HTML/pagan/common/herbs.php on line 2
Warning: include(http://www.pagan.us/top.inc) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/content/25/7393925/html/HTML/pagan/common/herbs.php on line 2
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.pagan.us/top.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/25/7393925/html/HTML/pagan/common/herbs.php on line 2
- ANGELICA: (sun, fire) The root carried in a blue cloth bag is a
protective talisman. Was considered to be under the guard of angels and
a preventive against plague. The whole root in a blue or white cloth
bag protects against evil.
- ANISE: (Jupiter, air) Protection. A pillow stuffed with Anise seeds keep away evil.
- APPLE: (Venus, water) Love spells. The wood is fashioned Into wands
and used for love spells and rituals. A large apple eaten at All
Hallows brings good luck.
- ASAFOETIDA: (Saturn, fire) Called "devil's dung" for its disgusting
odor. Used in exorcism. A small piece worn around the neck guarded
- ASH TREE: (sun, water) Protective, used to make brooms And healing
wands. Leaves placed beneath pillow induce psychic dreams. The winged
seeds are carried to prevent overlooking or Ill-wishing. Leaves are
lucky, especially even ones. Leaves should be gathered saying, "Even
ash, I do Thee pluck/Hoping thus to bring good luck/If no good luck
should come from thee/I shall wish thee on the tree". or, as a love
divination. Pluck the ash leaf and say: "Even ash, even ash, I do pluck
thee, My true love for to see, neither in his rick nor in his rear, but
in the clothes he does everyday wear". Speak not a word, place the leaf
under your pillow, you should see your future mate in a dream.
- BALM OF GILEAD: (Saturn) the buds can be carried to mend a broken heart. Can be added to love and protection charms.
- BASIL: (Mars, fire) Wealth and prosperity. Carrying basil in
pockets attracts money to them. A wife can dust her upper body with.
- BAY LAUREL: (sun, fire) The leaves can be burned or chewed to
induce visions. Worn as an amulet to ward off evil. Leaves under the
pillow induce prophetic dreams. Can be used for protection and
purification. Growing near a house, it protects occupants from
infection and storms.
- BENZOIN: (sun, air) Used in purification. A few drops of tincture preserves oils and preparations.
- BETONY: (Jupiter, fire) Protection, purification. Stuff a pillow to prevent nightmares.
- CHAMOMILE: (sun, water) Used in prosperity charms and rituals,
induces sleep. The tea brings peace and tranquility. Wash face and hair
with it to attract a lover.
- CARAWAY: (Mercury, air) Used in love charms to attract a lover.
- CARNATION: (sun, fire) Worn by witches to prevent capture and hanging. Produces added energy in ritual when used as an incense.
- CATNIP: (Venus, water) Creates psychic bond between cat and owner. Used in love spells and incenses.
- CELANDINE: (sun, fire) Helps wearer escape unfair imprisonment or entrapment. Cures depression.
- CINNAMON: (sun, fire) Used in incenses for healing, clairvoyance, high spiritual vibration. Used as a male aphrodisiac.
- CINQUEFOIL: (Jupiter, earth) Hang on house entrances for
protection. Use in spells and charms for prosperity, purification, and
- CLOVER: (Mercury) Associated with the Triple Goddess. Used in
rituals for beauty and youth. Four-leafs are carried to see faeries,
heal illness, avoid military service, avoid madness, and for good luck.
- CLOVE: (sun, fire) Worn to drive away negativity and stop gossip. Cloves strung on red thread can be worn as a protection charm.
- COMFREY: (Saturn, earth) An herb of Hecate, used in rituals to honor the Crone.
- CORIANDER: (Mars, fire) Used in love spells and charms. An old
spell is to take 7 grains of coriander and grind them in a mortar,
saying, "warm seed, warm heart, let them never be apart" three times.
Drops seeds into wine and share with lover.
- COWSLIP: (Venus) Brings luck. Posies of cowslips placed under the pillow allows contact with the dead in dreams.
- CYPRESS: (Saturn, earth) Connected with death in all aspects. The smoke can be used to consecrate ritual objects.
- DAISY: Used to decorate the house on Midsummer's Eve to bring
happiness and win the favor of faeries. frame of mind. General
- GARDENIA: (moon, water) Wear flower to attract love.
- GARLIC: (Mars, fire) Extremely protective, carry the bulb with
you on trips over water to prevent drowning. Hang in home to protect.
Used in exorcisms.
- HAWTHORNE: (Mars, fire) Used in protection sachets. Associated with
happy marriage. Put into cradles to protect babies. Sitting under the
tree on Beltane, Midsummer's Day, or Samhain puts one in danger of
being abducted by faeries. Never cut the tree. Burn Hawthorne berries
for energy and meditation on change.
- HAZEL: (sun, air) Makes good all-purpose wands. Can be used as
divining rods. Tie two hazels twigs together with red or gold thread to
make the Solar Cross, a good luck charm.
- HENBANE: (Saturn, water) **POISON** Carried to attract the love of a woman.
- HIGH JOHN THE CONQUEROR ROOT: (Saturn, earth) Add to Candle anointing oils, charms, and sachets to increase their potency.
- HOLLY: (Mars, fire) Plant around house for protection. Leaves and berries can be carried to heighten masculinity.
- HONEYSUCKLE: (Jupiter, earth) Use in prosperity spells and charms.
- HOPS: (Mars, water) Healing incenses and charms. Placed in a pillow, will induce sleep. Unwise to use if depressed.
- HYSSOP: (Jupiter, fire) For purification baths and protection
spells. Associated with serpents and dragons, it can be burned to tap
into dragon energy.
- IVY: (Saturn, water) Protects the house it grows over. Often given (with holly) to newlyweds.
- JASMINE: (Jupiter, earth) Used in love spells and charms.
- JUNIPER: (sun, fire) Protects wearer from accidents. Berries can be
dried and strung to attract a lover. Can be used in anti-theft spells
and grown at doorstep to protect from thieves.
- LAVENDER: (Mercury, air) Purification baths and incenses. Thrown
onto fires at Midsummer in tribute to the Gods and to bring visions and
inspiration. Carry to attract men. Scent induces sleep. Brings clarity
and focus to workings.
- LEMON BALM: Drink as an infusion to soothe away emotional pains
after a break-up. Useful in recovering from trauma and sexual assault.
Drives away low spirits, increases fertility.
- LEMON VERBENA: (Venus, air) Wear as a love charm and to increase
attractiveness. Add to charms to increase their power. Hang sprig
around neck to stop dreaming.
- LINDEN: (Jupiter) Conjugal love and longevity.
LOVAGE: (sun, water) For cleansing baths. Carry to attract love.
- MANDRAKE: (Mercury, earth) Strong protection for home. Carried by
women who want to conceive and men to cure impotency. Sleep with it in
the bed for three nights under a full moon. Carry for courage.
- MARIGOLD: (sun ,fire) Renews energy wherever vase is placed. Wear flowers to see who has stolen from you.
- MARJORAM: (Mercury, air) Add to love charms. Put a bit in every room.
- MEADOWSWEET: (Jupiter, water) Arrange fresh flowers on altar when
mixing love charms or performing love spells. Wear garland at Lammas to
join the essence of the Goddess.
- MISTLETOE: Protective, anti-lightning.
- MUGWORT: (Venus, air) Put into shoe for protection and to prevent
fatigue. Mugwort tea induces clairvoyance. Rub fresh leaves on scrying
mirrors or crystal balls to strengthen divination. Add to scrying,
clairvoyance, and divination incenses. One of the strongest
protectants. Hang in house to guard against lightning, place under
doorstep to keep unwanted people out. Fill pillow to induce vivid
- MULLEIN: (Saturn, fire) Wear to develop courage and protect from wild animals. Drives away evil.
- MYRRH: (sun, water) Purification, protection. Used to consecrate tools.
- MYRTLE: (Venus, water) Sacred to Venus, used in love charms and
spells. Grown indoors, brings good luck. Carry leaves to attract love,
or the wood to preserve youth. Make magick charms from wood. Wear fresh
leaves during love spells.
- NETTLE: (Mars, fire) Stuff a poppet with nettles to send bad
vibrations or curses back to the sender. Carry for courage, add to
protection charms. An anti-toxin.
- NUTMEG: (Jupiter, air) Carry one to strengthen clairvoyant powers and prevent rheumatism.
- OAK: (sun, fire) Sacred tree. Burn leaves for purification. Make
wands from wood. Carry acorns for fertility, youth, and wellness. Hang
in windows to protect house. Men can carry acorns to increase sexual
attractiveness and prowess.
- OLIVE: Sacred to Athena. Symbol of peace and wealth, sign of safe travel.
- ONION: (Mars, fire) Protection, healing. Place cut onions in a room to absorb illness. Leave overnight, discard in morning.
- ORANGE: (sun, water) Dried peel is added to love and fertility charms and used in solar incense. Good luck.
- ORRIS ROOT: (Venus, water) add to love charms, baths, and incenses.
- PARSLEY: Symbolic of death.
- PATCHOULI: (sun, earth) Carry as an aphrodisiac and to attract lovers.
- PENNYROYAL: (Venus, earth) Put in shoe to prevent weariness, carry to prevent seasickness. Highly abortive.
- PEPPER: (Mars, fire) Protection
- PEPPERMINT: (Venus, air) Healing, good in bath. Used to cool off arguments.
- PERIWINKLE: (Venus, water) Hang in house for protection.
- PIMPERNEL: (Mercury, air) Wear to detect falsehood and to prevent others from lying to you.
- PINE: (Mars, earth) Burn as a winter incense. Nuts are eaten and
carried for fertility. Needles can be added to healing and cleansing
- POPPY: (moon, water) Eat seeds for fertility. Carry for prosperity.
- ROSE: (Venus, water) Carry to attract true love. Drink tea of
petals for divinatory dreams. Add to charms for sleep, love, and
healing. Drink tea to promote beauty, mix petals with regular tea to
- ROSEMARY: (sun, fire) Protection. Wear to aid memory and learning.
Used in sea rituals and sea magick. Wash hands with infusion before
magick as a substitute for a ritual bath. Drink tea to make mind alert.
Linked to fidelity, love, and happy memories. Place under pillow to
ward off nightmares.
- ROWAN: (sun, fire) Tie 2 twigs together with red thread for good
luck and protection charm. Use for divining. Berries can be used in a
good luck amulet.
- RUE: (sun, fire) Add to charms to keep illness away. A sprig can be
dipped in water and used to sprinkle an area for purification.
- SAFFRON: (sun, fire) Prosperity and healing.
- SAGE: (Jupiter, earth) Prosperity and healing. Safeguards health, promotes longevity. Grows best in the gardens of the wise.
- SANDALWOOD: (moon, air) Use in purifying, protection, and healing incenses.
- SUNFLOWER: (sun, fire) Brings blessings of the Sun into the garden. Seeds can be eaten by a woman who wants to conceive.
- THYME: (Venus, air) Purifying incense, use in magickal cleansing
baths. Sniff for refreshment and renewed energy. Wear to protect self
from grief during funerals.
- VALERIAN: (Mercury, water) Use in love charms and spells, and in purification baths.
- VANILLA: (Jupiter, fire) The bean can be used in a love charm. The oil can be worn as an aphrodisiac.
- VERVAIN: (Venus, water) Sacred to the Druids, used for cleansing.
Hang above bed to keep away nightmares. Used in love and protection
charms. Incense brings good luck and inspiration.
- VIOLET: (Venus, water) Mix with lavender for a powerful love charm. Violet cures headaches and absorbs ill will and evil spells.
- WALNUT: (sun, fire) Carry to promote fertility and strengthen heart.
- WILLOW: (moon, water) Make wand for healing. Brings moon blessings when on your property.
- WORMWOOD: (Mars, air) Burn to raise spirits. Used in divinatory and
clairvoyant incenses. Burn in fire on Samhain to protect against
roaming spirits. Give to the dying to enable them to go in peace.
- YARROW: (Venus, water) Love and marriage charms, keeps a couple
together for at least 7 years. Wards off negativity when worn. Drink
tea to enhance the powers of perception.
Herb listings provided by: Whitehorse Woman
Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/content/25/7393925/html/HTML/pagan/common/herbs.php on line 291
Warning: include(http://www.pagan.us/bottom.inc) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/content/25/7393925/html/HTML/pagan/common/herbs.php on line 291
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.pagan.us/bottom.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/25/7393925/html/HTML/pagan/common/herbs.php on line 291